
Clarence Street
Between King Street and Dundas Street.
Arnold's Jewelry Store
Centre Theatre
Centre Theatre operated out of 391 Clarence St. from 1940-1970. In 1970, the Theatre changed names to The Mall Theatre. It operated with this name until 1985. During the late 1980s, early 1990s the building was demolished and the plot was made into a parking lot.
This jewelry store operated out of 379 Clarence St. from 1955-1965.
This set of shops operated out of 388 Clarence St. from 1945-1980.
Stacey, W. A., & Company began in 1940 in 385 Clarence St. After 5 years of being in business the company expanded to operate out of 383-385 Clarence St. The business continued to be open until 1960. Throughout the 20 years of business the company sold a variety of different materials from furniture to appliances.
Ainsley Specialty Shops
Stacey, W. A., & Company
Retail
Between the 1940-1960 the types of businesses located on Clarence St. between King St. and Dundas St. began to change from manufacturers to retail shops and services. Below, provides names, years and images of retail businesses that operated out of buildings in the area. The following does not include all of the retail shops and services that have been located on the selected area of Clarence St. since the 1940s. These selected shops and services are meant to serve as a representation for all of the ones that have been located on the selected area. The retail shops and services began to move out of the downtown area during the 1990s. A major competition for the shops and services in the downtown area opened in 1991 and is called Masonville Place. This mall is not located in the downtown area, and soon after there was a drop of businesses in the downtown area.
Bud Gowan Custom Clothes Limited
Bud Gowan purchased 387 Clarence St. in 1971 in order to run Bud Gowan Custom Clothes. The store remained open at this location until 1980. Since that time the business has changed owners and locations. The store is now located at 551 York St., London, Ontario. Here is their current website.
Bud Gowan ran an antiques shop out of 387 Clarence St. for 12 years from 1990-2012. Continue to the page called Featherbone Place under buildings to find more information about the building and Bud Gowan Antiques.
Smuggler's Alley Mall
From 1977-1999 a mall was located at 381-385 Clarence St. During the years of operation the mall went through three name changes: The London Centre Arcade, London Mews, and the most recent name Smuggler's Alley Mall. The Mall housed 72 stores at the time of opening but during the 1990's the retail spaces in the mall became less desirable and the mall closed in 1999. Later that year, the building was leveled and the space was made into a parking lot.
To the right are photographs of newspaper articles that were written in the London Free Press about the mall.
Bud Gowan Antiques
Attic Books

On May 28th, 1977 the London Free Press wrote an article called the "Arcade gives London core 'suburban' shopping" which included image of people and the space. Shown here is the different locations of the mall in the downtown core. Located at the London Room, London Public Library.

On May 13, 1978 the London Free Press had this ad which includes the layout and all the shops and services included in the London Arcade. Located at the London Room, London Public Library.

This advertisement appeared in the London Free Press on July 3rd, 1984. Located at the London Room, London Public Library.

On May 28th, 1977 the London Free Press wrote an article called the "Arcade gives London core 'suburban' shopping" which included image of people and the space. Shown here is the different locations of the mall in the downtown core. Located at the London Room, London Public Library.